Little Monocacy Creek Culvert is located along the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal half a mile upstream from Lock 27. The culvert has had a tumultuous history. Built circa 1831, the inflow side of the culvert (called the berm side; depicted in the photograph), was repeatedly damaged or destroyed by natural and manmade disasters.
The culvert was first severely damaged in a flood in September 1843 when high water caused the east berm corner to settle, resulting in the collapse of the upper walls. That same year, a new foundation and abutment walls were constructed to repair the damage. In September 1862, during the Civil War, Major General D. H. Hill led a division of Confederate troops that wrecked the structural integrity of the culvert in order to breach its roof and drain the canal. The Union army patched the breaches in the culvert by mid-October of the same year. However, the repair work was hastily done and by 1872, W.R. Hutton, Chief Engineer of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Company, reported the that berm side of the Culvert was again cracked and in need of repair. In the early twentieth century with the abandonment of the canal, the culvert was no longer maintained, leading to the complete collapse of 8 to 16 feet of the barrel of the culvert on the berm side (seen in the photograph below) and endangering the structural integrity of the canal. In 1976, the culvert was finally fully repaired and stabilized with modern cast concrete.