The photograph shows the reflection of the Brunswick Bridge. Constructed between 1953 and 1955, the bridge crosses the Potomac River at the location of of Brunswick, MD This city, first laid out in 1780, changed names twice in the nineteenth century. Initially named Berlin by the landowner Leonard Smith, it was renamed Barry in 1832 by the U.S. Postal Service to avoid confusion with another Berlin located in Eastern Maryland. The name was changed to Brunswick by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in 1890 to reflect the large number of railroad workers, originally from Brunswick, Germany, who had settled in the city.
With a total length of 2,430 feet, the Brunswick Bridge was constructed as a steel girder and concrete floor beam system linking 18 piers across the river. It is the third bridge constructed across the Potomac in that location. The first was a wood-covered bridge built by the Loudoun and Berlin Bridge Company in circa 1857. It was destroyed by the Confederate army in June 1861, suffering a fate similar to that of the bridge at Point of Rocks. In 1893 the bridge was rebuilt as an iron through truss bridge on the stone foundations of the previous bridge. This structure was removed after 1953, when a modern bridge was constructed on new piers slightly upstream, as can be seen at the top of the first site plan below.