Completed in circa 1939, the Potomac River Bridge connects the US 15 roadway between Point of Rocks, MD with Leesburg, VA. The plans for the bridge were drawn using a rare camelback through truss design in the months following a great flood of March 19, 1936 that had devastated the town of Points of Rocks.
As seen on the first site plan, below, the piers of the current bridge (spaced 165 feet apart) were constructed on the ruined foundations of a previous bridge. The latter was once a 1360 foot long double-track rail bridge connecting the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to iron ore mines on the Virginia side of the Potomac. It was built in circa 1850, for approximately $60,000, by the Potomac Iron Company which transported its products on both the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad and Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. In 1861, the original bridge was mined and destroyed by the Confederate army led by Captain Turner Ashby.