The photograph shows the reflection of White’s Ferry Bridge in a pool of water within the culvert running under White’s Ferry Road. From the 1860s, White’s Ferry Bridge in its various iterations, supported traffic over the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal to the nearby ferry crossing. The latter was originally known as Conrad’s Ferry and was renamed White’s Ferry in the wake of the Civil War. It remains the only functioning ferry crossing the Potomac River.
The initial bridge was erected in 1865. The structure’s red Seneca sandstone abutments (visible in the photograph below) are original to this structure. However, its wooden truss was subsequently replaced by an iron framework that opened to traffic in June 1876. The second bridge was further adapted in circa 1920 with modifications to the truss system (Warren pony truss design system). The bridge has been abandoned, leaving only its framework standing today.